Position title: Hydrogeologist
Phone: (608) 263-4125
As a hydrogeologist at the Survey, I get to balance my time between the field and the office. My work focuses on characterizing groundwater conditions and groundwater-surface water interactions, often in parts of Wisconsin where baseline hydrogeologic data may otherwise be lacking. I work on resource inventories, year-round monitoring, and mapping.
I also provide technical expertise for various projects, and enjoy learning how to use new technologies. I’ve worked with drones to collect aerial thermal imagery. I’m currently working with continuous monitoring equipment able to communicate and transmit water quality data remotely.
My current projects can be explored through this interactive map:
More about my work
Pulling together the pieces of the Bayfield County Groundwater Atlas
- Mapping the Springs of Wisconsin
- Fehling, A.C., Rawling III J.E., Graham, G.E., Chase, P.M., Swanson, S.K., 2022, Hydrogeology of the sandy uplands of the Bayfield Peninsula, Wisconsin: Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey Open-File Report 2022-04, 23 p., 3 appendices, https://wgnhs.wisc.edu/catalog/publication/000992/.
- Swanson, S.K., Graham, G.E., 2022, Spring Flux as an indicator of source geomorphology, substrata, and temperature conditions in springs: Hydrogeology Journal 30, p. 221–229, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-021-02412-1.
- Swanson, S.K., Graham, G.E., and Hart, D.J., 2020, Using Reference Springs to Describe Expected Flow, Temperature, and Chemistry Conditions for Geologically Related Groups of Springs: Environmental & Engineering Geoscience v. 26, n. 3, p.331-344, https://doi.org/10.2113/EEG-2312R.
- Swanson, S.K., Graham, G.E., and Hart, D.J., 2019, An inventory of springs in Wisconsin: Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey Bulletin 113, 24 p., https://wgnhs.wisc.edu/pubs/000968/.
- Graham, G.E., Fehling, A.C., Gotkowitz, M.B., and Bradbury, K.R., 2019, Hydrogeologic atlas of Bayfield County, Wisconsin: Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey Technical Report 005, 25 p., 5 plates, scale 1:100,000, https://wgnhs.wisc.edu/pubs/000967/.
- Graham, G.E., Swanson, S.K., and Hart, D.J., 2019, Methods and best practices for surveying springs in Wisconsin: Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey Open-File Report 2019-03, 11 p., 13 appendices, https://wgnhs.wisc.edu/pubs/wofr201903/.
- American Water Resources Association, Wisconsin Section, member
- Geological Society of America, member