Position title: GIS Specialist/Cartographer
Phone: (608) 263-5495
I joined the Survey in January 2016 as a geographic information system (GIS) specialist and cartographer. I also work in data visualization, user-interface design, and web map development. I prepare maps for our final publications, including large poster-sized prints, small figures that appear in a journal article or report, and interactive web maps, among other projects.
My role at the Survey is to visually depict datasets that explain the methods and supporting evidence for my colleagues’ scientific studies. I design visuals that help the reader understand the science. Recent web projects include a website for searching and viewing the WGNHS Lake Superior Legacy Collection samples and a web map application to highlight documents and cores related to mineral exploration in northern Wisconsin.
Here are a few of the projects I’m currently working on:
- Implementing the Geologic Map Schema (GeMS) for new mapping projects. GeMS is the standard schema for geologic maps in the USGS National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program.
- Managing the Survey’s project to convert existing geologic maps into GeMS.
- Leading GIS and cartography efforts for a new 1:500,000 map of the Quaternary deposits of Wisconsin under the USGS Statemap project.
- North American Cartographic Information Society (NACIS), member and volunteer
- National Alliance for Public Safety GIS (NAPSG), Search and Rescue working group, member